Robin Tunney Interview for "Ciné, Series & Cie

Here's the interview Robin recorded during her appareance at the Monte-Carlo TV Festival Wednesday June12, for "Ciné, Series & Cie", special edition dedicated to the Festival.
Robin is right at the beginning:


Ciné, séries & cie - édition du 14/06/2013 di OCS

Source: OCS 

UPDATE: I've done the transcription of this interview. Click on Read More to read it.



Q: Do you think The Mentalist belongs to a particular genre?
RT: A different genre, I think what makes it unique is that it'a a procedural but it has humor to it, the characters are well built. Generally the procedurals like CSI are more about solving crimes, and here it's more about these people and it's also sort of old fashioned. With CSI they solve crimes with high-tech computers, this is sort of old fashioned, like Columbo, more detective work.

Q: Do you believe in the powers of the mentalists?
RT: I believe that there's people who are very in tune with other people's behaviour, and I kind of do believe in psychics.. And... I also like to go to work so I can flirt with Patrick! It's not just the guns and the police work, I think she likes to flirt with Patrick.

Q: Very often in the series, the female characters are like a contrast to the hero, their role is to help him shine. You have instead a real character to play. Is this the reason that motivated you? 
RT: Yes, I loved that she was a strong woman. I loved the roles' reversal. Generally is the man who is the brawn, and in this I am the brawn and he's always sort of afraid. I liked that she's the boss, and strong, but she doesn't always act like a man. I think so often writers don't make the characters three-dimensional. And I like you sort of have the different Lisbon, depending to who she's talking to. I feel like the relationship with Jane is so much different than the other people on my team. She doesn't show a lot of vulnerability or humor to the people, she's sort of the boss, like a mom, and then she's different with Patrick. 

Q: In the clip we saw before, Jane says you can't bluff. But I hear you're very good at playing poker. Is that true?
RT: I used to play a lot of poker. You need to practice, and you play television you don't have enough time. But I also had the beginner's luck. I had lessons from a coach. There was a celebrities' poker game on television, for charity, and it was the first time I ever played in a real tournament, and I won 250.000 dollars for charity, so that got everybody interested! And then the second tournament I played I won and they were all pros, famous poker players and I just got lucky I think. It was fun. I played in the world series of poker, which is mostly men... it was kind of a training for doing a show where on the job they are mostly men, and they tease you because you're the only woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why does Lisbon always wear a cross chain on The Mentalist?

New Interview: Robin Tunney Talks Looking Glass and The Craft

Robin says Thank You!